May 6,'08 2 Bar Ridge TH to Frazier TH

We started this ride near Black Brush Ranch . Black Brush Ranch, 2 Bar Ridge TH, and Frazier TH are all on the south side of Roosevelt Lake, between the lake and the Superstition Mountains .

Corral at the gate to Black Brush Ranch




Across from the corrals is the road leading to 2 Bar Ridge TH



Looking down at the east end of Roosevelt Lake

This day's ride would be down-stream through Cottonwood Canyon (I wonder how many Cottonwood Canyons there are in the Southwest. ) which had sustained significant flood damage last year . There was a sign stating that the trail was not recommended for horses . We knew about this warning, so Dick waited for me to call him before he moved camp, in case Billy and I couldn't get through . Billy and I were solo again .


Upper part of Cottonwood Canyon


Yes, there were some difficult places, but a barefoot mule can do difficult things . I did get off a number of times to be safe, and to make it easier for Billy .


Water was flowing and gurgling into small pools . The cottonwoods and the sycamores are tall in this little canyon . And there are grapevines . A cool and quiet place .


middle Cottonwood Canyon




It is a small canyon; the walls are nearly always visable



I love sycamore trees . Have you ever taken one of the leaves and inhaled it's smell? Very distinctive aroma .



I had been in this canyon before, so I knew when we were getting toward the end of the riparian
section . The canyon held one last challenge .

We came to a point on the trail where it dropped straight down off of an undercut bank; about a 3 1/2 to 4 foot dropoff with flood debris at the bottom . No way around it . We had come so far, mastered so many challenges, I didn't want to go back . The stream bed was choked with dead trees, brush, small boulders; no way to get through it .

Pushing and crashing through live and dead brush to the other bank, I scouted that bank for a possible way out, and around this impassable section of creek . It looked like maybe we could do it, if Billy would follow me . I broke down as much brush as I could, and on my hands and knees, got part way up the hillside . The dirt was dry and loose; 2 steps up and 1 back . "Let's try it; Come on Billy !" He came on; sliding sideways downhill; scrambling ..... trying so hard for me !

We got up to a little crest that then went down into the next sidewash . I found a game trail leading back down into the creek . It was very brushy, but do-able . But now we were again faced with a dropoff of 4 feet with flood debris at the base of it . I could see the nice sandy trail about 10 feet out from the base of this bank.

I thought that maybe I could break down the bank enough for Billy to get down if I sat down and slid off the bank , taking as much of it with me as possible . So I did that, and asked Billy to "Come on down!" And he did . Part way down he seemed to realize that his best option was to jump . He sailed past my face and landed in the trail ! And calmly started eating the grass there . I love this mule .

Shortly after that, we were out of the canyon and onto the little Forest Service road leading to the junction with the trail to Frazier TH .


Roosevelt Lake, after leaving Cottonwood Canyon



Another crested saguaro !


close-up


The marina at Roosevelt Lake, as seen from the F.S. road leading to the junction with Frazier TH



Trail leading to Frazier TH



Frazier Horse Camp, across the highway from Frazier TH
Very close to the shore of Roosevelt Lake



Me and my pals
Photo taken by my best pal, Dick

No comments: